Macaroni and Cheese



I love homemade mac and cheese. There's something very comforting about sitting down with a bowl that has just come out of the oven that satisfies like nothing else will. It's one of the first things that I cooked for James (to go along with meatloaf that he adores) and he is never disappointed to come home and see it baking in the oven. This recipe calls for elbow macaroni but I use rotini or penne pasta all the time. I even use whole wheat pasta instead of white and it tastes just as delicious.

Macaroni and Cheese
Recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (7 ounces)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded or cubed Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)

Heat oven to 350ºF.

Cook macaroni as directed on package.

While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constanly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.

Drain macaroni. Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole. Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments: