Tonsil Cake


Thanksgiving 2007 ~ 11.23.07

When I was in third grade I had my tonsils out. I was a picky eater to begin with but couple that with a surgery and I was a pickle to feed. I refused to eat most things until my grandma brought over a bunt pound cake with a citrus glaze. From that time on, our family called this "Tonsil Cake".

Tonsil Cake (Thrifty Buttermilk Pound Cake)

3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 unbeaten eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs, buttermilk and extracts. Blend well. Add flour mixture a little bit at a time until well blended. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

No comments: