PENDING: Apple Pie by Grandma Ople


Thanksgiving 2007 ~ 11.23.07

I've made this recipe and it is still pending because although it is a good base for a recipe, it needs some tweaking. I thought that the Granny Smith apples called for were too tart and did not cook down enough. It was still tasty and that is why I am keeping it pending until I have time to make the changes I note below.

Apple Pie by Grandma Ople
Recipe courtesy of allrecipes.com

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced (4 Red Delicious apples, sliced very thin)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.

Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust (Mix apples into mixture in the saucepan and do an egg wash over the crust). Pour slowly so that it does not run off.

Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven with a sheet pan on the rack below to catch drip off. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.

No comments: