Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing



A couple of weeks ago, I went to a co-worker going away dinner at the Village Tavern. This was right after our dessert social so I wasn't hungry enough for a full on meal but I was hungry. Decided on the spinach salad with apples, blue cheese, spicy nuts and tossed with a poppyseed dressing. It also came with a hard boiled egg and a banana nut muffin. It was so delicious that I couldn't get it out of my head and vowed that I would try to copy it. The following is what I came up with and while it is pretty good, the restaurant version had more of an acidic kick. I might bump up the amount of vinegar in the dressing the next time I make this.

Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing

Salad components (this is all stuff that I eyeballed so no measurements):
Fresh baby spinach
Granny smith apples, thinly sliced
Crumbled blue cheese
Spicy pecans (recipe below)
Crispy bacon bits (recipe below)

Poppyseed Dressing:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons onion powder
3 teaspoons ground mustard
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil

In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Slowly add oil, while whisking briskly. Cover and refrigerate overnight until serving.

Spicy Nuts:
¼ cup veggie oil
2 tsp chili powder
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp tumeric
Pinch of cayenne
½ tsp salt
3 cups pecans

Preheat oven to 300◦. Combine oil and spices in small saucepan over low heat. Heat until hot but not smoking. Remove from heat and add walnuts, tossing to coat. Spread walnuts in a single layer on a baking pan lined with parchment or wax paper. Place in oven for 10 minutes.

Crispy Bacon Bits:
1 pound of thick sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces

Prepare bacon in a pan until very crispy. Drain on paper towels.

To assemble the salad:
Toss the spinach, apples and blue cheese with the poppyseed dressing. When plating, sprinkle each plate with warmed bacon and nuts.

3 comments:

Monica said...

Awesome salad!! And it's even better when you're sober.

Jill said...

I am keeping this bookmarked so I can have it handy for the next function when I can bring a salad. It sounds so wonderful! (JillB)

Unknown said...

sounds a bit strange, but awfully tasty. Might go well with red beans & rice (see comment on other blog.)